Monday, April 6, 2009

Bialys

Last Wednesday Jesse came home to find me sulking on the couch. I had attempted to make dough for bialys, and it would not rise. Side note, my bread never rises. I even tried Alton Brown's method of putting the dough in the oven to rise, with a pan of hot water under it, so it stays warm. Still, it was not working. I had given up, but Jesse decided to take the sad ball of gluten and put it in the yogurt maker, which stays at a constant warm temperature. Sure enough, about an hour later that stupid ball of dough had doubled in size.
Bialys are like a bagel, with a yummy caramelized onion and poppy seed filling. After Jesse saved the dough, I continued on with the proccess. It was 10:00 at night by the time they came out of the oven, but I have never been so satisfied. They were beauties....

1 comment:

wgkealey said...

Those look/sound so good! Great job,.