Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Random Bits

For those of you who do not know, Jesse has a blog, all about wood working. jesseparsons.blogspot.com, check it out.
We were just on vacation in Maine for a week, which was awesome, but we are glad to be home. I suck at snowboarding, it is really hard...... I felt worse after snowboarding than I did after I got hit by a car. With that said, I would like to give it another try before the season is over.
Last night's dinner was awesome, but the camera battery was dead so I could not take any pictures. I made black bean and sweet potato soup, with corn scones. I am trying to be more regular about blogging, but am obviously not succeeding.
On another note, Jesse suggested that for lent we do not buy anything that is made outside of the USA. I love this idea, and we decided to practice when we went to Target on Sunday. Guess what? We were pleasantly surprised and pleased. Almost all of the Target brand stuff is made right here in our country, as well as some name brand stuff. The only thing we left the store with that was made outside of the country was condoms. I told Jesse that we could stop using them, but he did not go for it, haha. It takes a few seconds to read labels, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

2 comments:

wgkealey said...

Linds,

I've been thinking a lot about international trade lately. Buying from the US does insure certain things: US minimum wage for workers, certain standards for pollution, relatively small carbon footprint.

At the same time, doing some reading, I came across this quote: "By 2002, this had dropped to just 2% despite Africa having 12% of the world’s population. If Africa could regain just an additional 1% share of global trade, it would earn $70 billion more in exports each year. "

Also, buying organic is something I've been thinking about. Even if we buy USA cotton, there can still be a lot of harm done. Cotton accounts for about 3% of all commercial crops in the US and about 25% of worldwide pesticide use.

I think there are a lot of things to think about, and it can be daunting, but you guys have a good start.

Michael P. Heneghan said...

I want your husbands sandwich